- Soak the yeast in 1/5 cup of water
- Mix all the dry ingredients
- Then add yeast, oil, and egg white(beaten) and beat until it gets to a cake batter consistency.
- Then let it rest for at least an hour.
- It will double in size, mix the batter with a spoon and let it rest again for half hour.
- Grease a pan and spread a spoonful of batter on the pan. Spread it as wide as you want, it needs to be half an inch in thickness.
- Add the topping of za'atar and olive oil (1 tsp and 1 tbsp of olive oil)
- Spread it over the dough.
- Bake it at 350 F for 15 mins.
- You can get Za'atar spice from any Middle Eastern market or make it at home with equal parts dried orgenao and sesame seed grinded together with salt to tasted.
- You can add an egg wash to brown your manakesh when it bakes.
- I keep it like batter consistency to achieve flakiness and moist manakesh bread.
- This recipe makes 4 snack size servings
- Each serving has 130 calories
|All the flours and xanthum gum|
|beaten egg whites|
|Dry and then wet ingredients|
|Beat it until a cake batter consistency|
|Let it rest, and double in size for an hour|
|15 mins in the oven and its ready.|